Monday, June 1, 2009

Supernova

I want to be a bird in the densest tropical canopy of trees,
Slick, curling leaves that branch above the creeping tigers,
Slippery snakes, roaring lions, and their fumbling cubs
I am safe above the rest, my vibrant wings blooming into
A locomotive flower,
Reds and purples and yellows that dance in the wild skies,
Widespread and free,
No one can catch me,
I dive and do summersaults,
I'm an open-air acrobat, gravity can't keep me down,
I can fly to the sun, to the blaring stars,
The tips of my feathered arms can touch the small planets,
I'm a supernova flying machine,
I"m ultraviolet, the spectrum of light
Can't keep up with me,
I'm always growing bigger than I was before,
My wings leading me to the skies,
Maybe someday I'll leap beyond,
For now I am the bird singing into the jungle,
The Toucan gazing at the world below,
Wings bursting open

3 comments:

Jay and Sara said...

I really like both of these poems, Micaela. You are such a gifted writer!

Love,

Sara

Jay and Sara said...

"I'm a supernova flying machine"

That is my favorite line, by the way.

Sara

nancy said...

Micaela, I love reading your words.

Toucan---I like the sound of this bird.

Nana